For people who love quick, easy and delicious meals, that require very minimal cleanup afterwards, foil packet meals are the answers to your prayers.
Also referred to as hobo packets, they’re a simple and stress-free way to cook up some of your favorite meals without the hassle of regular everyday cooking.
While this method of cooking is mostly enjoyed during the spring and summer (because outdoors, camping, etc.), they can certainly be enjoyed year round.
Not only are foil packet meals super easy to make, they’re also very versatile. You’d honestly be surprised at the number of tasty meals you can cook this way.
In this post, you’ll discover how to make the best foil packet meals, as well as 30 amazing foil packet dinner recipes that’ll no doubt satisfy your cravings.
Get your forks ready.
Foil Packet Meals 101
There are lots of different cooking methods (air fryer, instant pot, stovetop etc.) each with its own methodologies and perks.
Foil-cooked meals work by using the steam generated from the food to cook itself. As a result of this, meals come around more quickly, juicy, and if all goes well, delicious too.
Some perks to foil-based cooking include;
- Very minimal cleanup – forget pots, pans and plates. With foil-cooked meals, cleanup is brought to the barest minimum, which is a dream come true for a lot of you wonderful cooks out there.
- Makes meal prepping easier – aluminum foil isn’t just great for cooking food. It’s also great for storing it. You can wrap what you want to eat ahead of time, and simply cook and enjoy when you’re ready.
- Easy to customize – don’t like a certain ingredient in your food? You can simply leave it out of your individual foil packet, while others can still enjoy it in theirs. With individual foil-packed meals, you get to customize things to your specific taste.
How To Build Your Own Foil Packet Meals
Foil/hobo packets are pretty easy to assemble, since most of them follow a certain pattern, which goes a bit like this.
- Spices and flavoring
- Additional add-ons
Protein – For your choice of protein, any major protein source works fine. Beef, chicken, turkey, and even fish and seafood will cook perfectly.
Veggies – Same thing goes for veggies. You can feel free to throw in your favorite veggies. Popular options tend to include the likes of potatoes, corn, carrots, onions and peppers. Once again, feel free to experiment with your favorite veggies.
Spices and flavoring – You don’t need to hold back on the seasoning as well. A good combination of herbs, spices and sauces are what will bring your tasty meal to life.
Additional add-ons – Protein and veggies aren’t the only things that go in the foil. You can also throw in additional ingredients of your choice, like legumes (e.g. beans and chickpeas) , grains (e.g. rice), cheese, etc. Let your inner chef run wild.
Some Foil Cooking Tips To Remember
Before you get to cooking, either via the grill or the oven, there are a couple of useful tips you might want to put in mind. These simple tips will help you get the best out of your foil-cooking session.
1) Opt In For Heavy Duty Foil
The quality of foil used really does matter. While in theory, you can make do with regular aluminum foil, it is often advised to opt in for heavy duty foil, rather than the plain old regular ones.
Heavy duty foil will do a way better job at holding your food, and won’t tear up as easily.
In terms of what side of the foil to use (dull or bright), you don’t need to worry. Both sides will do the job just fine, so it doesn’t really matter.
2) Fold and Seal Properly
It is important to fold your foil packets properly in order to exclude as much air as possible. This helps to avoid the packets accidentally reopening during cooking or when being flipped.
Rather than pinching the sides and edges together, it is recommended to go for the “fold” method.
Here’s a video from Betty Crocker that shows you how it’s done.
3) Open with Care
So your food is just about done and you’re ready to devour it ASAP. That’s alright.
It’s worth remembering however, that the steam used in cooking it will escape once you open the foil. For this reason, its best to open it carefully, so the hot steam doesn’t cause you any issues.
With all these steps in place, you’re now ready to start creating the best foil packet dinners that taste amazing and will leave you satisfied.
You must be drooling by now, so let’s get right to business. Here are 30 incredible foil packet dinner recipes for you enjoy.
Whether it’s for your regular busy weeknight, a warm summer evening or your next camping trip, these amazing foil-cooked meals will not disappoint.
30 Incredible Foil Packet Dinners
1) The Best DIY Foil Packet Dinners
2) Butter Garlic Herb Steak Foil Packets
3) Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets
4) Bacon Ranch Chicken Foil Packets
5) Easy Baked Italian Chicken and Veggie Packets
6) Teriyaki Chicken Foil Packets
7) Easy 5-ingredient BBQ Chicken Foil Packets
8) Curry Spiced Foil Packet Potatoes and Eggs
9) Hobo Dinner Hamburger Foil Packets
10) Southwestern Chicken & Rice Packets
11) Salsa Verde Chicken & Rice
12) Salmon Foil Packets
13) Pineapple Teriyaki Shrimp Foil Packets
14) Campfire Dinner Meatloaf
15) Super Easy Potato and Sausage Foil Packets
16) Grilled Herbed Chicken & Potato
17) Parmesan Chicken Foil Packets
18) Campfire Tex Mex White Bean Chicken
19) Beef Teriyaki Foil Packets
20) Chili Lime Steak Fajitas
21) Tater Tot Meatball Foil Packet Meals
22) Garlic Baked Tilapia in Foil with Asparagus and Tomatoes
23) Cauliflower Curry Grill Packets with Yogurt Sauce
24) Foil Packet Sweet Potato Tacos
25) Philly Cheesesteak Foil Packs
26) Hawaiian Chicken Foil Packets
27) Grilled Peach-Glazed Pork Tenderloin Foil Packet
28) Sausage, Potato And Green Bean Foil Packets
29) Chicken Cordon Bleu Foil Packets
30) Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Foil Packets
Don’t forget to save your favorites for later. Enjoy!